The Canton of Ard Chreag is the Scarborough-Markham-Pickering-Ajax (Ontario, Canada) branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism, a society of people who recreate aspects of the Middle Ages. Quite frankly, we love the Middle Ages, the Renaissance and what they represent. We take pains to recreate these ages, within the bounds of safety, equality, friendship, and sometimes even good taste. Many of us refer to this pursuit as The Dream. Whether the Middle Ages are a general or a specific interest, or a consuming passion for you, there is a place for you here!
What do people in the SCA do?
The quick answer is: Everything!
The somewhat more involved answer has several parts, any or all of which may interest you.
Among other things:
- We demonstrate the flavour and history of the Middle Ages for schools and other educational settings. We are a not-for-profit educational organization.
- We also do a lot of medieval arts and sciences, such as costuming, embroidery, brewing, dyeing, calligraphy and illumination, to name only a few.
- We try to recreate combat in a safe manner, with swords made of a wood called "rattan", and armour made out of metal, leather, or sometimes hard plastic.
- We engage in fencing, with a few different twists from the Olympic sport we know today.
- We try archery, using recurve and longbows, wooden arrows, and no modern sights.
- We host feasts for fun, where we sit with friends, old and new, and are presented with excellent food. The food is usually an attempt at (sometimes an outright reproduction of) a medieval recipe.
- We hold courts, where we present respected and accomplished members of our Society with awards, and induct them into prestigious orders, in recognition of their work which keeps our Society running! People are recognized for skills in the arts, sciences, research, martial activity, and perhaps most importantly, service.
This is only a simple overview of our activities in the SCA. For more information, contact one of our Officers , or come out to a meeting or an event!